Monday, September 28, 2009

Here goes...

So this is my first blog post and I'm kinda nervous. I don't know if I have anything worthwhile to say... I don't know if I'll be too open or edit myself too much. I don't even know if anyone will ever read this and I definitely don't know how to use this thing. But here goes...

I'm starting my fourth week of business school this week and I missed my first kickball game in months yesterday. Our Organizational Behavior class spent the weekend in San Pedro (oh so glamorous!) for a communications retreat/workshop. Fortunately for me, my class is pretty kick-ass and I ended up having a great time and making new friends. I was home yesterday by one after getting a measly seven hours of sleep all weekend and definitely could have made it out to the kickball field to cheer everyone on by three, but I chose not to.

Now that's a big step for me... I made the conscious choice to stay at home by myself to decompress, watch movies and study, rather than drink with all my kickball friends.  I decided NOT to see the Brit, NOT to wish Dolo a happy birthday, NOT to consume 1,000+ calories worth of Bud Light in order to socially lubricate myself... This, oh blogosphere, is huge. 

Now I'm not saying it wasn't hard or that I'm not checking my Facebook a thousand times an hour to see if there were any pictures posted of the festivities that I missed (I don't like to feel like I'm excluded from anything).  Heck, I'm not even saying that I'm sure that I made the right decision or that I've given up those kind of activities for good (Oktoberfest anyone?!).  It was just the first in a long line of "DECISIONS" that I will now be making for myself. 

For the past year or two (or even more), I feel like I've just been taking whatever comes my way, as opposed to making things happen.  My first decision was to do this whole MBA thing and like anything else, there are pros and cons.  It seems like overnight my priorities changed.  And well.... that's just a lot to digest. 


No comments: