Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Getting There

This is a bit of a mish mash today.  Eat it up!

1.  I can't believe it's been twelve months.  A year ago I started business school, started this blog, quit kickball, and changed my life around completely.  I had no idea what I was signing up for, but it has been a whirlwind.  I've been hurt, I've struggled and there have been many tears.  But there have been even more friends, more laughter, and I have found more strength than I ever knew I had. 

2.  I'm not sick anymore!  Yeehaa.  With just about ten weeks left until our half marathon, I'm back on track for our running schedule.  I'm doing full hour boot camps on Wednesdays, double runs on Thursdays, and weekend runs in the marina.  My eating habits are off but that's constantly a struggle.  Luckily I haven't had much of an appetite, but with midterms and papers I'm not cooking and grocery shopping like I should. 

3.  It's rainy and overcast in LA this week and I love it.  Despite it making me even more homesick, it's actually quite soothing.  The temperatures have dropped and it's the perfect weather to catch up on my DVR with some take-out, put on my favorite yoga pants, and study for my Global Capital Markets midterm that's less than 48 hours away.

4.  I'm getting overwhelmed.  Graduation is just ten months away!!!  It's exciting, amazing and totally scary.  I will be in a very different place than I am now in ten months.  And I have to find a job.  While I love my office most of the time, there just isn't growth potential and it will be financially (and mentally) impossible for me to continue what I do once I have my MBA.  Time to tune up that resume, sit down with the career center, and decide what it is I want to do for the rest of my life.  Oooooof.

5.  When I get stressed, I crave coffee.  It makes my tummy hurt when I drink coffee on the days when I run at lunch, but something about going to Starbucks or Peet's as a way to start my day seems to make it more bearable.  My emotions have been a little out of control the last week (I blame on the hormonies) and it's a harmless - if not slightly expensive - way of getting me through the day without crying.  I thought I got over the weepies six months ago.

6.  Maybe it's all the bridal "stuff".  A good friend of mine is getting married in six weeks and even though I'm not in the bridal party, my recent weekends have been filled with bachelorette trips, bridals showers, wedding gift and dress shopping, etc.  Don't get me wrong,I have no intention of getting married any time soon and my dear friend more than deserves to be as happy as she is, but it makes ya think.  I'm in my late twenties and haven't had a meaningful relationship since college.  What's wrong with me?!  OK, rhetorical question.  I know the answer (most of the time). 

7.  And it doesn't help that I've been a hermit.  I've discussed before that I have the ability to completely shut myself off.  I haven't "gone out" on a weekend night in ages and I don't even join my friends for football at the bar on Sundays.  Again, I'm using school as an excuse to be alone and essentially not have to have human contact and be my own worst enemy. I have a midterm, paper and presentation this week.  And then another midterm next week.  But seriously, it's not that big of a deal.  I'm four semesters in already and I'm not taking particularly demanding classes - I need to get a life.  I know it'll make me less weepy. 

No comments: