Friday, October 30, 2009

Life is Good

Life is indeed good. I have a job that I actually enjoy going to every day and one that offers me camaraderie and growth. I am surrounded by people who believe in me and one of my biggest problems is having too much work thrown at me because I am competent and capable. The pace has slowed down just in time for this last push of writing, studying and research and my new (additional) team has worked out famously. A year ago I was newly laid-off and horrifyingly afraid that I would never be able to break into a commercial real estate brokerage again, especially one that’s been this supportive.

Because I have presentations due the week of Thanksgiving and finals the following Tuesday and Thursday, I have decided not to prepare my usual Turkey Day feast for the masses. Part of me really loves scouring the interwebs for recipes, going all out at the farmers’ markets, and spending hours battling the crowds at Williams & Sonoma and Ralph’s. But alas, my sensibility is rearing its head this time around. I’ve been fortunate to have so many people around who wanted to join me in years past, and this year is no different. Again, what’s making me anxious is that I have so many options; too many people are requesting the pleasure of my presence. Everyone should have such problems…

Now of course this expression of love for my current life situation doesn’t come without some caveats. If you know me at all, you know that I’m a bundle of anxious energy all of the time. I can’t sit through a movie because my mind is going a million miles a minute and I can’t fall asleep without reading a boring book because I have a hard time turning myself “off”. This becomes a bigger problem when I’m dealing with conflicts in my life. Small personal dramas, school stress, virtually anything really, can ruin my sunny outlook. That’s not to say that I don’t usually have a positive disposition (I’m a people-pleaser after all), but I have a hard time keeping it all in perspective most of the time.

No comments: