Sunday, October 11, 2009

This Week's Theme is Support

Making hard decisions is "hard".  Living with those decisions can sometimes be the most difficult part.  From my decision to finally tackle the GMAT, to figuring out where to apply to grad school and then actually doing it, required the support of my family and friends.  I was constantly calling my mom to get assurance that I was making the right decision.  I talked about it often to my friends to get their input and even talked it out with my coworkers. 

I knew that getting my MBA would require sacrifice, but I wasn't quite sure what exactly that would entail.  I knew I wouldn't be able to spend as much time with my friends, travel back to Michigan as often and take on huge amounts of student loans, but there have been a few surprises these past six weeks. 

The biggest surprise has been the range of support I've recieved for the choices I'm continually making.  Obviously, my peers at Pepperdine have been amazing.  We spend so much time together and are really good at reassuring each other that it'll all be worth the sacrifices and hard work in the end.  My roommate, whom I consider one of my closest friends, hasn't exactly been there for me.  I don't know if it's because she doesn't understand how difficult it is for me to do this alone, or that she can't see the connection between my new lifestyle and the ultimate goal, but we've been struggling.  Part of me really hates that I've had to separate the "good" friends from the "bad", but I've realized what amazing bunch of people have really shown up for me.  They're the ones that make this possible because nobody can go through life without a good team of cheerleaders.

No comments: