Saturday, August 7, 2010

Halfway Done!!!!!

It feels like just yesterday I met all these new people and gave up a huge part of my life to go back to school while continuing to work full time.  The last twelve months have totally flown by; heck the last semester has come and gone in a blink of an eye.  But honestly, I hardly recognize the girl I was last summer. 

I took my last final of the semester on Thursday and I really killed it.  I've been struggling through my finance class for the last fourteen weeks, but I knew at some point the light would come on.  A lot like my economics midterm and accounting final, an honest to goodness weekend of studying makes all the difference.  I wish I had really put in the effort throughout the entire semester, but I'm glad I finally connected the dots. 

There's a certain sense of accomplishment when you manage to do something you never thought you could.  School is a lot like running.  You have your ups and down, good days and bad.  Before it begins, you're totally freaked out, but as the days and weeks progress, you seem to get the hang of it.  There are speed bumps - bad quizzes, shortened runs, injuries.  But in the end, it all comes together.  And you always manage to finish, for better or worse. 

As I drove home from campus (ok, so I drove home from the W Hotel where a group of us had a few drinks), I had a rush of mixed emotions.  I am very proud of myself for a number of reasons.  But there was a certain sense of loneliness knowing that there was no chilled bottle of wine, no hug, no flowers and no dinner waiting for me when I walked into that apartment. Days like today I love living alone, when I can eat cheese and tomatoes on the couch, watch a chic flick and iron my new shower curtain.  But there are moments during this whole journey I wish I had someone to share it with. 

No comments: