Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sulking

All semester, I dream of these days.  The three weeks between classes when I can go to bed early, wander around the mall aimlessly and catch up on my DVR.  The few weeks I can go out with my friends and not feel guilty about having to get up early the next day to study.  This is my summer vacation - it's supposed to be spent at the beach, wearing the dresses that haven't seen the light of day and doing all those summer LA activities I've been missing because a) I've been swamped between work and school and b) weather-wise, we haven't had much of a summer here in Lala land. 

But I'm sulking.  I have a handful of errands to run before Beth and Zak get to town tomorrow morning and I don't want to do anything.  I don't want to go to the grocery store, iron, vacuum, or even pick up the air mattress.  I'm super excited for them to get to LA because I know we're going to have an amazing time - we definitely all need the break - but all I want to do is chill out (i.e. watch MTV and go to bed early). 

It also doesn't help that I drank a wee bit too much tequila on Sunday.  I usually get pretty depressed after I drink hard liquor so I tend to stay away.  A drink or two isn't too bad, but an afternoon of imbibing at a Mexican restaurant on Sunday really did me in.  It is now 72 hours (and a good workout) later, and I'm still feeling it.  Not physically of course, but the anxiety is ridiculous. I've taken on some new responsibilities at work too.  And while it's a great opportunity and I'm learning a lot, taking on a new endeavor often causes stress.  Plus, the timing couldn't really be worse.  I've managed to get it all done, but only with a few extra hours and definitely some sweating. 

So it's time to get out of my funk and have a good time.  Snap out of it.  Get my stuff done.  I had a relaxing weekend of waking up late, meandering around Bed Bath & Beyond and catching up with friends.  And starting tomorrow, I get to spend some much-needed time with my favorite people whom I've known for well over a decade now.  Part of me wishes I were going to Chicago instead, but I know we'll have a better time here going to the beach, cooking and enjoying some of my favorite LA summer activities. 


No comments: