Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dr. G and the Conundrum

Most of the time, I'm not one to take the path of least resistance. I'm more of the "pave your own way, make your own story, run that 1/2 marathon because you can" sort of girl. And the reason I chose an MBA in the first place was because I needed challenge. I needed to learn about the things I was too scared to conquer in my undergrad. After all, I’m taking on tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt to grow.

Now here’s my problem. There is a FEMBA economics professor infamous at Pepperdine by the name of Dr. G. I’ve only been in this program three months, but his class was even mentioned at orientation. He’ll make you stay past midnight, he’ll make you want to pull out every last hair follicle, but he’ll make sure you learn. Even his syllabus mentions the onerous workload and that he runs his classroom like a boardroom; Dr. G is obviously the chairman.

This semester’s class load has by no means been easy. There isn’t a ton of regular work for our Organizational Behavior class, but the reading is significant and there are few weeks I spend less than five hours on Quantitative Analysis. My quant class totally stresses me out because I have trouble following along with the professor and only learn what I need to in order to do well on the exams. OB, on the other hand, makes me think. I enjoy our class discussions and doing the research. I don’t think this is a coincidence.

Fortunately, I have taken (remedial) accounting before and I have a degree in economics. I must also append that statement with the fact math is in fact not my strongest suit. Again, I do things because they are a challenge and I am curious. Why should I take communications classes when I already know how verbose I am? Perhaps this problem of not being drawn to things I’m necessarily comfortable with is something I need to tackle in the rest of my life, but that’s a different blog post for a different day.

I am planning on going into finance. I am paying through the nose for this MBA. I should take Dr. G’s class and immerse myself in the madness. I should continue to tackle those things are most difficult and become part of the elite club of those that have taken on Dr. G’s economics and won. If the guy that works at Starbucks can do it, so can I.

But I don’t want to be turned off to economics and finance. I do have accounting to consider as well as a full time job and a life I keep trying to live. And it’s not like I’m not going to learn anything by taking someone else’s economics course. Plenty of people have completed Pepperdine’s MBA with a concentration in finance, never having set foot in one of Dr. G’s “boardrooms”.

So what do I do? What would you do? Am I being a pansy?  What will I regret the least?

No comments: