Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Years Resolutions

My resolution this New Year is to find balance. To balance what I want to do with what I have to do. To balance my spiritual and personal life. To balance my checkbook. To balance my diet and my eyebrows. To stay physically and mentally active and allow myself effective down time in order to stay refreshed and energized. To work and play harder. 

This sentiment has been echoed by my classmates and is perhaps more important for those with family lives to juggle along with work and school.  But really, life is constantly about finding balance for all of us.  I might not have a family of my own, but I have to find a way to juggle dating, exploring and spending time with my friends along with everything else.  After all, those things are just as important at this point in my life. 

I don’t believe that New Years should be the only time we resolve to do something, but it certainly gives us perspective and impetus. I run races because they give me a deadline and it's kinda the same thing with the new year.  Despite it being an over-hyped bar night, it is a symbol of new beginnings.  A chance for us to reflect on the past year  - all our accomplishment and not-so-great moments - and clarify how we want to spend the next 365 days. 

The last few months I've done an increasingly better job of living the life I've always imagined and making decisions for myself.  Between going back to school and moving to a new apartment by myself, I am consciously living according to what I value.  I hope to attend more bschool events, study harder and make more time for the people I value. 

No comments: