Thursday, January 28, 2010

Playing House

Usually, this refers to an unmarried couple who moves in together in order to test out their relationship in real time.  Like rehearsal marriage.  Let's see how this works, save a little money, split groceries and go furniture shopping together.

I don't know if I was just a clueless college kid with parents who were too busy getting a divorce to really pay attention to what I was doing, but I moved in with my college boyfriend when I was 21.  And we were most certainly not planning on getting married (at least in my head.  I was waiting for 30 - I'm a feminist afterall). 

Needless to say it didn't work out too well in the end, but one of the reasons we were ready at that point was because we were both "nesters".  I've moved almost half a dozen time since, and every time I haul around my big girl (read: non-Ikea) furniture and art work.  I love to watch HGTV, paint my apartments, and go buy new towels.  I'd much rather shop in Macy's home department than their clothes department.

Now that I live on my own again, I'm totally playing house with myself.  I have been printing out new recipes to try (when I will have free time to cook between work, school, friends and unpacking has yet to be determined) and spend far too much time and money at Target.

The only frustrating part of this whole thing is that I'm not completely settled in yet.  I have an economics exam on Tuesday and I need to spend the weekend at the library and making flashcards, not putting away clothes and hanging pictures. I know I've only been there for five days, but I feel like Mary Poppins; like the whole place should magically be all set in a matter of a weekend.  I'm just glad I didn't wait until this weekend to move.

No comments: