Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Birthday!

It's my twenty-eighth birthday today and I feel much different than I did on my twenty-seventh birthday.

Part of me feels more like my angsty fourteen year-old self than a sophisticated and urbane graduate student in her late twenties.  But part of me feels more at peace and resolved than ever before.

Last year at this time I feel like I was running in circles.  I hadn't yet decided to apply to grad school for fear of the time it would take away from my social life, I was working crazy hours trying to adjust to my new job and was in a bit of a rut.  I wasn't as close to my girl friends as I am now and I definitely didn't have the sense of direction I've gained in the last nine months.

But birthdays, like Valentine's Day and New Years Eve, are pretty anti-climactic.  My mom sent me a beautiful and inspirational Kate Spade necklace, some of my brokers bought me some sweet running gear and I'm having drinks with a friend tonight.  Altogether not a bad day for sure, but it's not a life-changing moment.  Simply one to reflect and attempt to come to peace with whatever has been bugging me.  Well, I know what's been bugging me.  I just need to move on. 

When I was in my early twenties, twenty-eight was that magic age at which I thought I'd have it all together, or at least all figured out.  And in a way, I do.  I know more about myself than I did then, I'm doing very well in my MBA program, I have an active social life and a job in this economy.  I'm learning life lessons every day and having direction is more than half the battle. So I might not be "there" yet, but I'm on my way.  And afterall, life is about the journey, not being anywhere. 

No comments: